CONGRATULATION & COMPLIMENT



CONGRATULATION

Congratulation is an expression that we use to congratulate someone and show our happiness and pleasure at that person’s achievement or good fortune when someone gets success in doing something. There are some kinds of congratulations, such as congratulation on someone’s success, happy birthday, happy new year, happy anniversary, happy graduation, etc.


We congratulate people to show our appreciation toward their achievement.

In  congratulating,  people  may  make  more  than  one  move, for  example, “Congratulations! You deserved it, man.” Similarly, in  responding  to  congratulating  expressions,  people  do  not  only make one move, like, “Thank you very much.” Usually they also say something else, such as, “This is because you’re always with me.”

Text 1


After a long struggle and hard work, Alif is finally appointed as the director of a national company where he works. Many of his friends who work at the same company congratulate him.

Samuel  : Alif, congratulations. You deserved it, man.
Alif       : Thank you very much. This is because you always help me
Sinta     : I am very happy for you, Alif. Now, that you are the director of the company, I believe the company will develop even faster.
Alif      : (replies with a happy tone) Thank you. I cannot forget your collaboration with me, and I will still need your help. 

Other friends shake his hands and congrats him too.

Deni  :  That’s wonderful Alif. 
Alif   : Oh, thanks. 
Santi : Good for you. Good luck.
Alif   : Thank you very much.
Bejo  : Well done.  
Alif   : Thank you for saying so. 
Ivan  : That was great. You must be very proud of your achievement.
Alif   : Thanks. I’m glad you think so. But I still have to learn a lot. 

His staff also congratulate him.

Eny     : Please accept my warmest congratulations, sir.
Alif     : It’s very kind of you to say so. Thank you.
Bintari : I must congratulate you on your success.
Alif     :Thank you very much for saying so.  

They all celebrate Alif’s success by having lunch together in a simple food stall next to their office. Everybody is happy.


Text 2


Cita has won the first winner of the storytelling competition in her school. Her best friend congratulated her.

Ditto  : Cita, congratulations for being the first winner of the school storytelling competition! Excellent. You really did it well. 
Cita   : Thanks, Ditto.
Ditto : I heard that you will be the representative of our school in the storytelling competition of our regency. Is it true?
Cita  : Yes, you’re right.
Ditto : I hope you will win as well in the next competition
Cita  : I hope so. But I’m nervous.
Ditto : Don’t worry, you’re a very good storyteller. Good luck.
Cita  : Thanks. I’ll do my best. Wish me luck.


Sample Congratulations Messages for Achievement

  • Whether you just received your degree or made that job promotion, receiving a congratulations message for achievement with the acknowledgment of your hard work is just one way to be celebrated. Here is a look at some great sample congratulations messages for achievement.
  • “Congrats! This is not a new surprise for us to see your success. Success is all your right from day one when you started achieving.”
  • “Congratulations for your fabulous victory. You deserve it every bit. Aim for the stars.”
  • “Congratulations on your success. You have made us all proud. Keep up the good work.”
  • “Everyone wants success, but it only follows those who make a true approach to get it. You know the hard work and dedication has a destination which is success. Best of luck for your future and congratulation for your achievements. Keep going.”
  • “First they ignore you… Then they laugh and fight against you… Then you win. I knew you could do it. Congratulations for your brilliant victory.”
  • “I know you would attain this success very soon and easily than anyone can achieve it. Congratulations my dear!”
  • “If Oscars were given for a job well done, I’d nominate you. Congratulations for your fantastic achievement.”
  • “It’s a pleasure to work with someone who knows how to make a friendly and inspiring work environment. I’m glad that a position opened up for you that is a great next step in your career.”
  • “Let’s celebrate your success! Expecting for a big party on the way! Continue breaking your own records! Congrats!”
  • “No matter how big a crowd maybe, a person like you always stands out. There’s no one who has worked as hard as you have in the last years. Now your efforts effort have paid off. Congrats.”
  • “Proud to be your side while you rock achieving success in all the things you do. It’s time to hear the success news! Congrats on your success!”
  • “Success is yours always on the new ventures you take every now and then. We congratulate you on this wonderful moment of success.”
  • “The aim of life lies in pushing your limitation always; you have successfully made this thing possible your achievement is the result of your efforts. Give your best in the future and I wish you achieve every success in your life. A big congratulation for you.”
  • “The new success of yours is yet another milestone in your success story. You are for sure going to attain new heights with lot more successes.”
  • “Well done. You are destined to make it big, you just didn’t know it. This recognition is surely deserved and will give you an opportunity to spread your wings.”
  • “You always fulfill the expectations of the people around you. We expected your success and here you have made it! Congrats!”
  • “You always go for the impossible thing to make it possible and you take each target as your aim. You love taking challenges and you deserve this achievement. I congratulate you for your success.”
  • “You always make limitations your goal and every time it brings you success. You make weakness your strength and are able to transform loss into profits. You know the strategy, which is staying focused. I congratulate you for this achievement and keep going in the future.”
  • “You are the true example of a leader and now with this achievement, you add another feather in your crown. I wish you all the best for your future and congratulate you for this achievement. May you achieve every success in your life.”
  • “You worked hard, you deserve it, you have got it. Please accept my congratulations on this wonderful recognition of your merits.”
  • “Your dedication, enthusiasm, and insight are really inspiring. I wish you many years of great achievements.”

COMPLIMENT

Compliment is an expression to appreciate or praise other people. Compliment is useful to give encouragement so that people will keep on doing their best and even improve their performance.

When to express compliment :
- On daily basis,
- When someone has done his/her best,
- When you visit someone’s house for the first time,
- If you notice something new about someone’s appearance.

Text 1 
Read the dialog carefully.

Rahmi   : Hello. How are things going on, Sinta?
Sinta     : Hi. Good, and you?
Rahmi   : I’m feeling great today. How was your weekend with your family in Batu?
Sinta     : Excellent! We had a lovely time there. You should have gone there with us.
Rahmi   : Really? Hey, what a beautiful skirt you are wearing. It matches your blouse.
Sinta     : Thanks a lot. My sister bought it for me last month.
Rahmi   : Wow! That’s wonderful. 
Sinta     : Oh, Rahmi, can I ask you something? 
Rahmi   : Oh, sure. Please.
Sinta     : Have you finished writing the book we discussed two months ago?
Rahmi   : Yes. Come to my room. Look at this. What do you think?
Sinta      : Terrific. I like the cover. Let me see the contents. 
                This book is excellent. You really did a great job. 
Rahmi   : Thanks a lot. You’ve inspired me to do this. 
Sinta      : Your publisher should send it to all bookstores here.
Rahmi   : Yes, you’re right. The publisher will do it for me. 
Sinta     : Well, that’s great. I am proud of you, Rahmi.     
               By the way, I’ve got to go now. Have a nice day!
Rahmi  : You, too.



How to Express Compliment?


- Your + Noun/Noun Phrase + is/looks + (really) + Adjective
   # Your dress is really elegant.
   # Your hair looks great.
- I + (really) + like/love + Noun/Noun Phrase
   # I love this vegetable soup.
- This/That + is + (really) + Adjective + Noun/Noun Phrase
   # This is a really nice painting.
- What a/an + Adjective + Noun/Noun Phrase
   # What a lovely apartment.

Responding to a Compliment

· Thank you/Thanks.
· It’s nice of you to say so.
· Thanks a lot for your appreciation.
· Really? I’m not sure about it, actually.
· I’m glad you like that.
· Do you really think so?
· It’s very kind of you to say that.
· Thanks, I need that.

Here's an example ready-made compliments to try out yourself:

  • You look nice.
  • You look amazing!
  • What a lovely necklace!
  • I like your shirt – where did you get it?
  • I love your shoes. Are they new?
  • That color looks great on you. (or: You look great in blue)
  • I like your new haircut.
  • The lasagna is delicious.
  • This soup is very tasty.
  • You’re a fantastic cook.
  • Did you make this from scratch?
  • You’ve got to give me the recipe for this chicken dish!
  • The cherry pie is out of this world.
  • That was delicious. My compliments to the chef!
  • What a nice apartment!
  • You have a beautiful home.
  • Where did you get that lovely table?
  • I love the decor. Did you do it yourself?
  • Oh, what an adorable face!
  • He/she’s so cute!
  • Your children are very well-behaved.
  • Your son/daughter is a smart cookie.
  • Your kids are a lot of fun.
  • You make me want to abandon my plans
  • You are good at life
  • You help me breathe
  • You make everything better
  • You are a genius
  • I want to take a walk with you
  • You are the hero of my life
  • I feel cozy when I’m with you
  • I am myself when I’m with you
  • I want to read books next to you
  • I want to be quiet with you
  • You are good at thinking
  • I love your laugh
  • You are good at listening
  • You are good at asking questions
  • You smell good
  • You look good in any landscape
  • I want to collaborate with you on a lot of things
  • It’s fun to laugh at myself when I’m with you
Others examples

1. You're an awesome friend.
2. You're a gift to those around you.
3. You're a smart cookie.
4. You are awesome!
5. You have impeccable manners.
6. I like your style.
7. You have the best laugh.
8. I appreciate you.
9. You are the most perfect you there is.
10. You are enough.
11. You're strong.
12. Your perspective is refreshing.
13. I'm grateful to know you.
14. You light up the room.
15. You deserve a hug right now.
16. You should be proud of yourself.
17. You're more helpful than you realize.
18. You have a great sense of humor.
19. You've got an awesome sense of humor!
20. You are really courageous.
21. Your kindness is a balm to all who encounter it.
22. You're all that and a super-size bag of chips.
23. On a scale from 1 to 10, you're an 11.
24. You are strong.
25. You're even more beautiful on the inside than you are on the outside.
26. You have the courage of your convictions.
27. I'm inspired by you.
28. You're like a ray of sunshine on a really dreary day.
29. You are making a difference.
30. Thank you for being there for me.
31. You bring out the best in other people.
32. Your ability to recall random factoids at just the right time is impressive.
33. You're a great listener.
34. How is it that you always look great, even in sweatpants?
35. Everything would be better if more people were like you!
36. I bet you sweat glitter.
37. You were cool way before hipsters were cool.
38. That color is perfect on you.
39. Hanging out with you is always a blast.
40. You always know -- and say -- exactly what I need to hear when I need to hear it.
41. You help me feel more joy in life.
42. You may dance like no one's watching, but everyone's watching because you're an amazing dancer!
43. Being around you makes everything better!
44. When you say, "I meant to do that," I totally believe you.
45. When you're not afraid to be yourself is when you're most incredible.
46. Colors seem brighter when you're around.
47. You're more fun than a ball pit filled with candy. (And seriously, what could be more fun than that?)
48. That thing you don't like about yourself is what makes you so interesting.
49. You're wonderful.
50. You have cute elbows. For reals! 
51. Jokes are funnier when you tell them.
52. You're better than a triple-scoop ice cream cone. With sprinkles.
53. When I'm down you always say something encouraging to help me feel better.
54. You are really kind to people around you.
55. You're one of a kind!
56. You help me be the best version of myself.
57. If you were a box of crayons, you'd be the giant name-brand one with the built-in sharpener.
58. You should be thanked more often. So thank you!!
59. Our community is better because you're in it.
60. Someone is getting through something hard right now because you've got their back. 
61. You have the best ideas.
62. You always find something special in the most ordinary things.
63. Everyone gets knocked down sometimes, but you always get back up and keep going.
64. You're a candle in the darkness.
65. You're a great example to others.
66. Being around you is like being on a happy little vacation.
67. You always know just what to say.
68. You're always learning new things and trying to better yourself, which is awesome.
69. If someone based an Internet meme on you, it would have impeccable grammar.
70. You could survive a Zombie apocalypse.
71. You're more fun than bubble wrap.
72. When you make a mistake, you try to fix it.
73. Who raised you? They deserve a medal for a job well done.
74. You're great at figuring stuff out.
75. Your voice is magnificent.
76. The people you love are lucky to have you in their lives.
77. You're like a breath of fresh air.
78. You make my insides jump around in the best way.
79. You're so thoughtful.
80. Your creative potential seems limitless.
81. Your name suits you to a T.
82. Your quirks are so you -- and I love that.
83. When you say you will do something, I trust you.
84. Somehow you make time stop and fly at the same time.
85. When you make up your mind about something, nothing stands in your way.
86. You seem to really know who you are.
87. Any team would be lucky to have you on it.
88. In high school I bet you were voted "most likely to keep being awesome."
89. I bet you do the crossword puzzle in ink.
90. Babies and small animals probably love you.
91. If you were a scented candle they'd call it Perfectly Imperfect (and it would smell like summer).
92. There's ordinary, and then there's you.
93. You're someone's reason to smile.
94. You're even better than a unicorn, because you're real.
95. How do you keep being so funny and making everyone laugh?
96. You have a good head on your shoulders.
97. Has anyone ever told you that you have great posture?
98. The way you treasure your loved ones is incredible.
99. You're really something special.
100. Thank you for being you.



Adopted from:

- Bahasa Inggris Kemendikbud kelas X edisi revisi 2016

- https://www.happier.com

- https://futureofworking.com
- http://britishcourse.com

1 komentar: